[Python-3000] u'text' as an alias for 'text'?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Mar 21 04:47:36 CET 2008

"Christian Heimes" <lists at cheimes.de> wrote in message
news:47E2B941.4080700 at cheimes.de...
| Thomas Wouters schrieb:
| The __future__ docs say "No feature description will ever be deleted
| from __future__."
|
| ever is a very strong word and I expect Python 3.x to follow the rule.

I was tempted to suggest that 'ever' could be interpred as 'ever in 2.x'
but then I remembered the purpose of the rule, which is to allow a
forward-looking individual to write modules that will operate in both a
current version and an anticipated future version *without having to touch
the code* -- until they choose to for purposes other than deleting future
statements.  So each version should have a dict of retired futures that are
accepted and then ignored.

In the case of 2.6 and 3.0, the future version will already be present, so
it will be easier to develop a nearly complete set of future statements.
If people who are skittish about autoconversion, especially by someone
else's code, choose and succeed in writing code in a Python subset that
works in both 3.0 and futurized 2.6, more power to them.  I do not think
that they should be impeded by having to delete future statements, now more
than at any other time.

tjr