[Python-3000] [Python-Dev] Filename as byte string in python 2.6 or 3.0?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 00:02:29 CEST 2008

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm also starting to wonder if allowing mixed types might be the way to
>> go for these interfaces - leaving the bytes objects in place if the
>> Unicode decode operation fails.
>
> No, no, nooooo!

Yeah, I realised shortly after sending that message that this is exactly
the problem this discussion is trying to get rid of. I saw at least one
other post containing a similar comment though, so I didn't feel *too*
foolish for writing it (although that didn't stop me wishing my email
client had a "Retract stupid comment" button).

Cheers,
Nick.