[Python-3000] Proposed Python 3.0 schedule (bytes/unicde again)

Eric Smith eric at trueblade.com
Tue Oct 7 14:50:53 CEST 2008

Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Hi,
>
> James Y Knight <foom <at> fuhm.net> writes:
>>   - Having os.getcwdb isn't much use when you can't even run python in
>> the first place when the current directory has "bad" bytes in it.
>
> I don't agree it's a similar problem. Python should be installed in a well-known
> place with a sensible path. Of course, bonus points if Python can be launched
> from anywhere, but I don't think it's a severe problem. In other words, I'd flag
> this as "low priority".

What about the case when using something like py2exe to create a
distributable executable? I haven't been following this conversation
closely, so maybe this issue never applies to Windows. But I can see a
py2exe executable not having a sensible path, and there might be similar
issues on other platforms.

Eric.