ANN: FontTools/TTX 2.0 beta 1

Just van Rossum just@xs4all.nl
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 20:05:55 +0200

I'm proud to announce a Brand New Release of FontTools/TTX, an Open Source
Python library and toolkit to manipulate fonts.

This is the first beta of version 2.0 -- I intend to release 2.0 final in a
couple of months.

TTX is a tool to convert TrueType and OpenType fonts to an XML-based text format
(also called "TTX") and back. This enables you to edit TTF/OTF tables with a
text editor. It's a low level tool, meant for people who are not scared to
fiddle with technical details of the OT format. It is implemented in Python.

FontTools is a Python library implementing reading and writing of TrueType
fonts, OpenType fonts, AFM files, reading of Type 1 fonts (writing is still
being planned), and some other formats.

No impressive web page yet:

  http://fonttools.sourceforge.net/

A slightly obsolete end user page can be found here:

  http://letterror.com/code/ttx/

Just