[issue6992] Adding a Contributor field in PEP 314
report at bugs.python.org
Wed Sep 30 14:11:18 CEST 2009
Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> added the comment:
> Right, but then we have:
> for consitency, we'd also need:
In my mind the "perfect" situation would be just two arguments:
- authors (goes in Author field - possibly multi-valued)
- contact_email (goes in Contact-email field)
And deprecate the others.
The "maintainer" concept is not on the metadata side, so it's not used
at *all* by the third-party tools or by PyPI.
Adding it in the metadata adds more confusion imho than deprecate its
usage on Distutils side to stick with a very simple concept:
- a distribution has authors
- a distribution has a contact email.
So I am -1 adding Maintainer/Maintainer-email in the Metadata.
Now for the "Contact-email", it guess it's OK to keep "author_email ->
Author-email", and it's no big deal is "Author" stays singled valued,
as long as it contains all authors names right ?
So at the end, the changes on distutils setup() side would be:
- authors (goes in Author field - with "," separations )
- contact_email (goes in Author-email field)
- deprecation of the "author", "author_email",
"maintainer" and "mainainer_email" arguments
So the metadata doesn't change and we have what we want.
Python tracker <report at bugs.python.org>
More information about the Python-bugs-list