[python-committers] Cutting Python 2.6
barry at python.org
Wed Oct 1 22:48:52 CEST 2008
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
On Oct 1, 2008, at 4:33 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 12:36 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org>
>> Over the next several hours I will be cutting Python 2.6. All
>> lights and
>> buildbots are go for final release tonight.
>> I have not yet heard from Trent about press releases, so we'll have
>> to do
>> those after the fact.
> Press releases can lag behind, but I hope that this time the Windows
> and OSX installers will be released together with the main tarball.
I agree, but I have not heard from Ronald or Martin about that yet.
Ronald, are you still planning on building the OS X installer? I
believe we also want Sean to build the RPMs.
Here's what might work: I will build the source tarball as normal,
uploading everything to dinsdale. I'll fiddle the web site locally
but not commit the changes, so they won't become public yet. I'll
send a message here when everything's ready and then if we hear from
Ronald and Martin, they can build the binaries. As long as it's
October 1st somewhere in the world, we won't be lying. :)
If I don't hear from them though, I will push the big red button just
before midnight my time (US/Eastern, UTC-0400). We'll have to back-
load the binaries tomorrow.
>> I am also planning on releasing 3.0rc2 tonight, but only if there's
> I'd recommend against this now. We need a few more days to implement
> the solution for undecodable filenames. There's a patch set by Victor
> Stinner that does most of what I'd like to have, but it needs 1-2 more
> rounds of review and refinements. I'd really like to hold up rc2 until
> this is in.
Great, works for me!
>> Final releases have much more work and the process is much less
>> tested, so
>> it may take me quite a while to get 2.6 final out.
>> The trunk and 3.0 branches are officially frozen until further
>> notice. You
>> /must/ contact me on irc if you need to make any changes.
> Why freeze the 3.0 branch?
It's not now <wink>. So we'll put off 3.0rc2 and leave the 3.0 branch
>> Remember: #python-dev on irc.freenode.net. Please include my nick
>> in any ping so I will notice.
>> Yee haw!
> Amen! Thanks for your relentless efforts, Barry and others!!!
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (Darwin)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
More information about the python-committers