[python-committers] Making the PSF CoC apply to core developers

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Feb 29 12:38:46 EST 2016

On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 at 23:15 Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:

> On 02/28/2016 10:25 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:
> >

> > On Sun, Feb 28, 2016, 12:02 Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net
> > <mailto:g.brandl at gmx.net>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 02/28/2016 08:10 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:
> >
> >     >     Can *anyone* take it upon themselves to (let's
> >     >     say) say "Brett, you unilaterally changed the policy with no
> discussion
> >     >     or consultation and just four minutes notice. That is
> unspeakably rude
> >     >     and total jerk behaviour, so under your own rules you're out
> of here"?
> >     >
> >     >     I'm not just making a rhetorical point. I wouldn't accept that
> sort of
> >     >     unilateral behaviour from my work colleagues.
> >     >
> >     >
> >     > It wasn't a unilateral decision. If it was then I would have just
> done it
> >     > without  opening an issue or bringing it up here. I mentioned it
> here just in
> >     > case someone might get upset by it (which obviously happened).
> >
> >     FWIW, Eric Smith and myself (co-"owners" of the mailing list)
> supported this
> >     when Brett asked.
> >

> > I think Steven's objection was me wanting to state in the devguide that
> core
> > devs would adhere to the CoC in all Python-related interactions in the
> community
> > regardless of whether that interaction explicitly occurred under the
> purview of
> > the CoC, which is a stronger statement than just this mailing list being
> under
> > the CoC.
>
> Well, "Python-related" is a bit strong and includes activities the PSF/the
> CPython developer community has no business in. It should be rephrased to
> "Python core-related" - that mostly happens through the mailing lists (and
> the tracker).  We should not presume to be an employer that will fire
> employees based on a post on their private Facebook account.

That rephrasing is fine by me (as would be adding "public" to the
statement). My point is when any of us have our core-dev "hat" on, people
should know that they can expect us to behave appropriately and that if we
misstep and say something offensive they can point it out to us without
worries of any of us taking offense (i.e., we are just like everyone else
and being a core dev doesn't place our behaviour above anyone else). If we
happen to be at a meetup or conference that has not implemented a CoC that
shouldn't give us an excuse as esteemed representatives of this language
and community to be lax in our behaviour since how we act as core devs is
probably amplified compared to others in the community.