[python-committers] My opinion about "binding expressions" (was Poll: Do you like the PEP 572 Assignment Expressions?)

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Fri May 4 11:41:31 EDT 2018

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 3:49 AM, Victor Stinner <vstinner at redhat.com> wrote:
> I propose a poll because I'm unable to track the opinion of each core
> dev, too many emails have been sent to python-dev, and maybe some
> people changed their mind during the long discussion (which started in
> February) :-)

Victor said "Please don't elaborate here" so I've opened yet another*
thread for this topic. :)  My apologies to all for that.  However, I
didn't feel like the poll captured my opinion well.  In the interest
of not adding too much more noise to the discussion on this specific
topic, I'll provide a (relatively) brief opinion here and then bow
out.  (I don't feel like I have anything else to contribute on the
subject.)  If you feel similarly, feel free to do likewise (e.g. be
concise).  Please don't engage in discussion here.  There are plenty
of other threads for that.  If no one else registers their opinion
here that's fine with me too. :)

As to my actual opinion, ultimately I don't think "binding
expressions" are such a big deal either way.  I doubt abuse will be as
common or frustrating as that of list comprehensions and ternary
expressions; but either way code review will mitigate that risk (and I
doubt binding expressions will be a major distraction there).  Anyway,
I'll probably use them occasionally if we get them.

-eric

* Yeah, it's like when someone says "the problem is there are too many
file formats" so they write their own to render the rest irrelevant...
<wink>