[python-committers] PEP 572 at the Language Summit next week

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Fri May 4 19:31:00 EDT 2018

[Victor Stinner <vstinner at redhat.com>]
> I'm not sure that the discussion on python-dev was really efficient (I
> didn't follow the discussion on python-ideas). It seems like many
> people said the same thing.

Only hundreds of times ;-)

> I'm not sure that arguments of the supporters of the PEP have been
> heard. Likely lost in the high number of emails...

It's really the PEP's job to lay out the pros and cons - you shouldn't
have to read emails at all for that, unless you want to follow the
development in real time.  I think moving the PEP from python-ideas to
python-dev was premature, because even among proponents there wasn't
yet consensus that the then-current state of the PEP was sufficiently
focused.

The simpler the PEP has gotten, the more I've warmed to it.  My
current +1 isn't really about the PEP as it stands, but about what I
_assume_ Guido will be talking about (plain-name "binding expressions"
alone, and not also, e.g., about changing some corner case scope
behaviors, but also about tightening the language spec with respect to
guaranteeing a specific order-of-operation (OOO) in some currently
fuzzy cases - although, to be fair, both scope behaviors and OOO
guarantees are issues on their own quite independent of this PEP).

And, frankly, everyone else should be +1 too on whatever it is Guido
is privately thinking ;-)