[python-committers] Proposing Mark Shannon to be a core developer

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue May 15 17:01:19 EDT 2018

Thanks Mariatta!

It would also be nice if we gave new committers a task along the lines of
"mentor one woman or other person of diversity through their first
non-trivial PR". (If the new committer is not comfortable actually merging
the PR they can ask a more experienced core dev to do that -- after all new
core devs are supposed to be mentored themselves by a more experienced core
dev.)

Even nicer would be if *every* core dev made a commitment to "sponsor" at
least one person of diversity. I understand not everyone has the time. But
perhaps *some* core devs will volunteer! Increasing the core's diversity is
a very important goal to ensure the future health of Python.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)