[python-committers] A different way to focus discussions

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Fri May 18 21:33:00 EDT 2018

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 4:51 PM, Ivan Levkivskyi <levkivskyi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 May 2018 at 19:46, Gregory P. Smith <greg at krypto.org> wrote:
>>

>> I'm all for picking a victom^Wvolunteer PEP to try dogfood it on.
>>

> Can few related PEPs share the same repository? For example, I want to start
> writing three PEPs about extensions to PEP 484 type system: literal types,
> final/const qualifier, and integer generics (simple dependent types).
> They all are tightly connected (but I don't want a single mega-PEP), can I
> put these three in the same repo?

Another common pattern we see with trickier PEPs is the creation of
multiple competing proposals. This strikes me as healthy and something
we want to encourage. Maybe these should also go in the same repo by
default?

This is also a case where assigning PEP numbers earlier rather than
later seems useful. Unambiguously referring to PEP 521, PEP 550, PEP
567, and PEP 568 would be difficult without the numbers :-).

-n