[Python-Dev] RE: [Numpy-discussion] RE: Possible bug (was Re: numpy, overflow, inf, ieee, and rich comparison)

Charles G Waldman cgw@fnal.gov
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 21:44:42 -0500 (CDT)

Chris Barker writes:

 > Hey! I like that! Python is dynamic, why can't we just get the actual
 > answer to sqrt(-1), without using cmath, that always returns a complex ?

You have to import the sqrt function from somewhere.  Either you
import it from math or from cmath, depending on which flavor you need.
Anybody sophisticated enough to know what complex numbers are, and
sophisticated enough to want to get complex values as a result of a
calculation, should be sophisticated enough to be able to type
"cmath".