[Python-Dev] This Project Has Not Released Any Files

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 14:05:48 -0400

Andrew Kuchling <akuchlin@mems-exchange.org>:
> I like pythonX.X.tar.gz best, and will change the filenames (leaving
> bc-compat symlinks for py152.tgz and pyth151.tgz) unless vetoed.
> Though isn't the standard GNU naming convention more like
> python-1.5.tar.gz?

It is, and I wish we'd move to it as did the Perl guys.  It makes life
substantially easier to have really uniform naming conventions,
especially for programs like the Metalabs file clerk.

Don't ever think you know what's right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what's right for you.
	-- Paul Williams, `Das Energi'