[Python-Dev] FYI: ajuba solutions (formerly scriptics) acquired by interwoven

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 15:40:16 -0400

Fredrik Lundh <effbot@telia.com>:
> looks like Tcl's parent company has ceased to be:

This raises anew a question I've been meaning to bring up for the last
week: is it finally time to move away from Python's dependence on
Tcl/Tk for GUI support?

It seems to me that the Tcl world has been in increasing disarray for
the last two years.  Its growth doesn't seem to have matched Perl's or
Python's; no strong community site analogous to python.org or CPAN has
emerged; and John Osterhout's attempt to commercialize the language
have led to a series of false starts and erratic moves.  And Osterhout
cheerfully acknowledges that on a technical level that Tcl has been
pushed past the natural limits of applicability for its design
approach.

Tcl's long-term prognosis looks, to me, increasingly poor.  Which suggests
to me that some move toqwards making Python less dependent on Tk would be
a good thing.

I understand that we can't simply drop Tkinter.  But I think it might be worth
another look at alternatives (notably wxPython) to consider bringing one
into the core distribution during 2.x, so that later on we can plan to
move Tk to "unsupported -- legacy".

You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself
a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about
repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the
great struggle for independence.
	-- Attributed to Charles Austin Beard (1874-1948)