[Python-Dev] What to choose to replace Tkinter?

Greg Wilson gvwilson@nevex.com
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 11:52:00 -0400 (EDT)

> Andrew Kuchling wrote:
> What's the problem we're trying to solve here?
>
> * Is it that the problem that the Tkinter module is a bad API for
>   GUI programming?
>
> * Or is it that the Tk implementation is slow or bulky?
>
> * Or do we just dislike having to require Tcl as well as Tk?
>
> Can someone articulate why Tk should be replaced?

I can articulate why I'm unhappy with the current set-up:

1. Requiring Tcl is fragile.  Un-gumming installation on machines at Los
   Alamos before my first Python course cost me several hours, and I had
   to do it again two months' later.  I've run into similar problems with
   multiple Tcl installations on Windows machines (personal use).

2. (Lack of) native look and feel.  This is a complete show-stopper for
   many of the outfits I've dealt with (and not just with Python).

Performance doesn't really matter --- I've never had students complain about
speed, although I've never asked them to build something large enough that
refresh would be an issue.

I don't have experience teaching wxPython, so I can't comment on the
relative teachability of its API vs. Tk's.

Hope this helps,
Greg