[Python-Dev] What to choose to replace Tkinter?

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 21:13:02 -0400

[Guido]
> are you saying that your own installer can install the
> Python DLL but not the Tk DLL?

[James Ahlstrom]
> Not exactly.  I am saying I don't want to use the standard
> Python Windows installer.  And I am saying I don't want to install
> Tk because it is big, complicated, and requires Tcl and its libraries.
>
> My installer does install the Python DLL python15.dll, so
> I guess I could study how to install Tk and duplicate the
> functionality of the Windows installer, and install Tk too.
> But why would I want to?

That's up to you and your customers.  What Guido has been telling you is
that what the Windows installer does now (as of 1.6) to "install" Tcl/Tk is
trivial:  it merely copies some Tcl/Tk files into the Python installation
tree.  It no longer runs the Scriptics installer, mucks with the path,
changes any envars, copies any files to outside of the Python tree, or even
sets anything up in the registry for Tcl/Tk.  You may not *want* to install
Tcl/Tk, but, if you would like to, there's no longer any basis for fearing
it's difficult, obscure, delicate or error-prone.

don't-know-about-those-wrt-other-gui-pkgs-ly y'rs  - tim