[Python-Dev] build problems under Solaris

Sat, 28 Oct 2000 12:51:20 +0200

> I don't have access to a Solaris machine, so I can't do anything to
> help these users.

The patch in 117606 looks right to me: gcc on Solaris (and on any
other platform) needs -shared to build shared library; configure
currently passes -G. I haven't actually tried the patch, since it is a
pain to extract it from the SF bug report page. What happens is that
gcc passes -G to the linker, which correctly produces a shared
library.  However, gcc also links crt1/crti into the library, which
causes the reference to main.

117508 looks like a user error to me. On its own, configure would not
try to link -ldb, unless it detects the presence of db.h. My guess is
that there is a libdb in /usr/local, so a gcc configure finds it,
whereas the native compiler doesn't. Later, the linker even finds a
-ldb library, but somehow this doesn't have dbopen. So it could be
that the BSDDB installation on that system is screwed.

Regards,
Martin