[Python-Dev] Showstopper

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 15:11:30 -0400

We've got a showstopper bug involving gc and dicts.  It's not brand new, but
was probably introduced when we fiddled PyDict_Next() to stop the dict
resizing problems plaguing Jeremy.

Cut to the chase:

1. dict_items() is called.  The dict has 22 of 32 slots filled.

2. PyList_New(22) creates the result list.

3. dict_items() loops through the dict looking for active entries.
   It does *not* use PyDict_Next, but a loop of the form

       	for (i = 0, j = 0; i < mp->ma_size; i++) {

4. When it finds an active entry, it calls PyTuple_New(2) to
   create the entry's (key, value) result tuple.

5. At the end, PyTuple_New() calls PyObject_GC_Init(), which
   calls _PyGC_Insert().

6. _PyGC_Insert() decides it's time for a collection.

7. The dict dict_items() is iterating over (remember step #1 <wink>?)
   is one of the objects gc traverses.  gc dict traversal *does* use
   PyDict_Next.

8. 22 of 32 slots filled is exactly at the dict resize point, so
   the PyDict_Next() invoked by gc traversal grows the dict.

9. So, back to step #1, dict_item()'s

           	for (i = 0, j = 0; i < mp->ma_size; i++) {

   loop now goes up to 64 instead of the original 32, and, because
   of the internal dict reshuffling, *can* (depending on the exact
   data content of the dict) see values again that it already
   saw before the dict got rearranged.

10. As a result, the later

			PyList_SetItem(v, j, item);

   inside the loop can eventually pass values for j too large for
   the list.

11. PyList_SetItem() sets a "list assignment index out of range"
    error string, but nobody pays ttention to that, and dict_items()
    proceeds to trigger the error multiple times.

12. The value returned by dict_items() is wrong, containing
    some duplicate (key, value) pairs, and missing others.

13. The eval loop goes around a few more times, until it finally
    hits a bytecode that notices the pending exception.  Then (I
    finally got lucky here!) IndexError finally pops up on a line
    where an IndexError doesn't make sense.

I have a test case that reliably triggers this bug, but was unable to whittle
it below 100+ Kb of code + data files.  So trust me about the details above
(they're clear enough!).