[Python-Dev] (Idea) subclassable string: path object?

Just van Rossum just@letterror.com
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 19:21:53 +0200

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Two better solutions:
>
> (1) If the Path class defines a __str__() method, you can write open(p).

Ah, I had no idea that works these days: excellent, much nicer!

> (2) You could add an open method to the Path class, and write p.open().

Mwah. I quite like (1). Maybe I'll just write a Path class and use it for a
while, then I can be more sure of it's usefulness (or unusefulness...).

I think it'll be a lot like string methods, in the sense that if all you know is
the string module string methods seems unneccesary and overkill, but once you
start using them you notice how much better it is. I see a Path object as an
attempt to OO-ify os.path. I'll report back if it works out well.

Just