[Python-Dev] Changing the Division Operator -- PEP 238, rev 1.12

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 09:49:12 -0400

> It's a matter of interface, really.  It's certainly not at all
> technically hard.  Maybe:
>
>    compile(text, filename, symbol[, flags[, dont_inherit]])

Occam sez: let's add the dont_inherit argument when we have found a
real use for it.

My bigger worry about this interface is that the flags accepted should
be carefully checked to be from the small set related to future
statements.  It would be harmful if the user could set flags like
CO_OPTIMIZED, CO_GENERATOR, or CO_VARARGS this way!