[Python-Dev] PEPS, version control, release intervals

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 08 Feb 2001 13:53:57 +0100

"Martin v. Loewis" wrote:

> > Does this mean that doing CORBA et al. with Python 2.0 is
> > currently not possible ?
>
> It is possible; people have posted patches to Fnorb (which only add
> tuples in the right places). Also, the omniORB CVS cooperates with
> Python 2.0. There just is nothing that's officially released.

Looks like this is another issue with the current pace at which
Python releases appear.

I am starting to get these problems too
with my mx tools: people download the wrong version and then
find that the tools don't work with their installed version of
Python (on Windows that is).

Luckily, distutils makes this easier to handle, but many of the
tools out there still don't use it.

> > I will have a need for this starting this summer (along with SOAP
> > and XML), so I'd be willing to help out. Who should I contact ?
>
> Depends on what you want to take as a starting point. For Fnorb, it
> would be DSTC, although it appears to be "officially unmaintained" for
> the moment. For omniORB, contact Duncan Grisby - he's usually quite
> responsive. For ILU, it would be Bill Janssen; I'm sure he'll accept
> patches. If you need something in a commercial environment (i.e. where
> purchasing licenses is not an issue), feel free to contact me in
> private :-)

Depends on the licensing costs, but yes, this is for a commercial
product ;-)

> In general, the DO SIG (do-sig@python.org) is a good place to discuss
> both CORBA and SOAP.

Thank you for the details. I'll sign up to that SIG as well (that
should get me to 300 emails a day :-/).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg