[Python-Dev] Making the __import__ hook available early...

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 09 Feb 2001 18:05:15 +0100

There has been some discussion on the import-sig about using
the __import__ hook for practically all imports, even early
in the startup phase. This allows import hooks to completely take
over the import mechanism even for the Python standard lib.

Thomas Heller has provided a patch which I am currently checking.
Basically all C level imports using PyImport_ImportModule()
are then redirected to PyImport_Import() which uses the __import__
hook if available.

My testing has so far not produced any strange effects. If anyone
objects to this change, please speak up. Else, I'll check it in later
today.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg