[Python-Dev] platform specific files

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g@virginia.edu
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 12:32:49 -0500 (EST)

On macosx, besides the PyObjC (i.e.NextStep/OpenStep/Cocoa) module,
I now have a good chunk of the MacOS Carbon based toolkit modules
ported (though not tested):

Python 2.1a2 (#1, 02/12/01, 19:49:54)
[GCC Apple DevKit-based CPP 5.0] on Darwin1.2
>>> import Carbon
>>> dir(Carbon)
['AE', 'App', 'Cm', 'ColorPicker', 'Ctl', 'Dlg', 'Drag', 'Evt', 'Fm',
'HtmlRender', 'Icn', 'List', 'Menu', 'Qd', 'Qdoffs', 'Res', 'Scrap',
'Snd', 'TE', 'Win', '__doc__', '__file__', '__name__', 'macfs']

Jack has always maintained the Mac distribution separately, but that
was largely because the Metrowerks compiler environment was radically
different from unix make/gcc and friends. That's no longer the case
on macosx. ( Although, it looks like we will end up, for a while, at
least, with 3 versions on OSX: Classic, Carbonized-MacPython, and
the unix build of Python with Carbon and Cocoa libs. )

I note that 2.1a2 still has BeOS and PC specific directories, although
the Nt & sgi directories that were in older releases are gone.

I'm guessing the current wish is to keep as much platform dependent
stuff as possible separate and managed with disutils, and construct
separate platform-specific distributions my merging them on each
release.

How is all of this handled in the various Windows distributions ?

( And in the light of that, is there anything particular I should
  avoid? )

-- Steve M.