[Python-Dev] Those import related syntax errors again...

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:04:59 +0100

Andrew Kuchling wrote:
> >IMO breaking code would be ok if we issue warnings today and implement
> >nested scopes issuing errors tomorrow. But this is simply a statement
> >about principles and raised impression.
>
> Agreed.  So maybe that's the best solution: pull nested scopes from
> 2.1 and add a warning for from...import (and exec?) inside a function
> using nested scopes, and only add nested scopes in 2.2, after everyone
> has had 6 months or a year to fix their code.

don't we have a standard procedure for this?

    http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0005.html

    Steps For Introducing Backwards-Incompatible Features

    1. Propose backwards-incompatible behavior in a PEP.

    2. Once the PEP is accepted as a productive direction, implement
       an alternate way to accomplish the task previously provided by
       the feature that is being removed or changed.

    3. Formally deprecate the obsolete construct in the Python
       documentation.

    4. Add an an optional warning mode to the parser that will inform
       users when the deprecated construct is used.

    5. There must be at least a one-year transition period between the
       release of the transitional version of Python and the release
       of the backwards incompatible version.

looks like we're somewhere around stage 3, which means that we're
12+ months away from deployment.

Cheers /F