[Python-Dev] pydoc for 2.1b1?

Ka-Ping Yee ping@lfw.org
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 23:52:28 -0800 (PST)

Hi!

It's my birthday today, and i think it would be a really awesome
present if pydoc.py were to be accepted into the distribution. :)

(Not just because it's my birthday, though.  I would hope it is
worth accepting based on its own merits.)

The most recent version of pydoc is just a single file, for the
easiest possible setup -- zero installation effort.  You only need
the "inspect" module to run it.  You can find it under the CVS tree
at nondist/sandbox/help/pydoc.py or download it from

    http://www.lfw.org/python/pydoc.py
    http://www.lfw.org/python/inspect.py

Among other things, it now handles a few corner cases better, the
formatting is a bit improved, and you can now tell it to write out
the documentation to files on disk if that's your fancy (it can
still display the documentation interactively in your shell or your
web browser).

-- ?!ng