[Python-Dev] one more restriction for from __future__ import ...

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@alum.mit.edu
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 16:38:27 -0500 (EST)

>    In addition, all future_statments must appear near the top of the
>    module.  The only lines that can appear before a future_statement are:
>
>    + The module docstring (if any).
>    + Comments.
>    + Blank lines.
>    + Other future_statements.

I would like to add another restriction:

    A future_statement must appear on a line by itself.  It is not
    legal to combine a future_statement without any other statement
    using a semicolon.

It would be a bear to implement error handling for cases like this:

from __future__ import a; import b; from __future__ import c

Jeremy