[Python-Dev] One more dict trick

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Thu, 31 May 2001 23:54:33 -0400

Tim Peters <tim.one@home.com>:
> Agencies we can't talk about would like them as big as they can get them.
> Each vector register in a Cray box actually consisted of 64 64-bit words, or
> 4K bits per register.  Some "special" models were constructed where the
> vector FPU was thrown away and additional bit-fiddling units added in its
> place:  they really treated the vector registers as giant bitstrings, and
> didn't want to burn 64 clock cycles just to do, e.g., "one" conceptual xor.

You've got a point...but I don't think it's really economical to build that
kind of hardware into general-purpose processors.  You end up with a camel.
You know, a horse designed by committee?

To make inexpensive guns impossible to get is to say that you're
putting a money test on getting a gun.  It's racism in its worst form.
        -- Roy Innis, president of the Congress of Racial Equality (CORE), 1988