[Python-Dev] Function in os module for available disk space, why not?

Dinu Gherman gherman@darwin.in-berlin.de
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 12:57:49 +0100

I wrote on comp.lang.python today:

> is there a simple way (or any way at all) to find out for
> any given hard disk how much free space is left on that
> device? I looked into the os module, but either not hard
> enough or there is no such function. Of course, the ideal
> solution would be platform-independant, too... :)

Is there any good reason for not having a cross-platform
solution to this? I'm certainly not the first to ask for
such a function and it certainly exists for all platforms,
doesn't it?

Unfortunately, OS problems like that make it rather impossi-
ble to write truly cross-platform applications in Python,
even if it is touted to be exactly that.

I know that OS differ in the services they provide, but in
this case it seems to me that each one *must* have such a
function, so I don't understand why it's not there...

Regards,

Dinu

--
Dinu C. Gherman