[Python-Dev] SF hacked

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 31 May 2001 09:20:11 +0200

Thomas Wouters wrote:

> It *seems*, from this site:
>
> http://66.92.75.28/~vladimir/themes-org.html
>
> that SourceForge has been hacked, and more seriously than SF first admits
> (if I'm to believe the arrogant sprouting of some script-kiddie, anyway. :)
> And the same goes for apache.org, it looks like. Anyway, if anyone connected
> *from* any of sourceforge's machines to anywhere else, in the last couple of
> months, they'll be well advised to change their passwords and check for
> intruders. The same goes if you connect through ssh and (foolishly ;)
> allowed ssh-agent-forwarding to the SF machines. In that case, better check
> all the machines that ssh-agent would give you unpassworded access to for
> logins you don't recognize. The site above lists a number of sniffed
> passwords, in case you want to check, but there's no reason for the hacker
> not to have even more sniffed passwords lying about :)
>
> And if you have a login on apache.org, you probably want to change your
> password in any case.... the above listed site has what seems to be a copy
> of the shadow password file.

FYI, the file's contents are no longer available it seems. Still,
SF seems to be alarmed about this:

                I M P O R T A N T   P L E A S E     R E A D

        If you are seeing this it's because we've failed over from
        pr-shell1.

        This is a failover server only.  As soon as pr-shell1 is better we
        will cut back to it.  So please do not start any daemon process
        that you care about.

                                                - The SF Staff

About the password change: this doesn't seem to be possible on
the failover machine (I get a permission denied message).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH