[Python-Dev] New and Improved Import Hooks

Just van Rossum just@letterror.com
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 16:48:17 +0100

Moore, Paul wrote:

> But iu.py does all I need from import hooks. Jim Ahlstrom's
> patch does zip imports. If Just's code doesn't clean up the
> import code, I quite honestly don't understand the point.

I won't clean up import.c, but I don't want to make it any worse, which is IMO
what the current zip import patch does. I *might* open doors for future
cleansing, but that's all. My main motivation are still:

  - the mechanics of reading zip files should _not_ be in import.c
  - ditto for a directory caching scheme
  - to try to minimally patch import.c so that zipimport can relatively
    cleanly be plugged in (if this leads to a new & approved import
    scheme, that's merely a nice side effect)

Just