[Python-Dev] make install fails with current Python CVS

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
12 Dec 2002 11:03:31 +0000

"M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> writes:

> I've tried to run a "make install" with todays CVS version, but
> this fails on my Linux box with the following error:
>
> Compiling /home/lemburg/projects/Python/Installation/lib/python2.3/test/test_pep263.py ...
> Sorry: MemoryError:
>
> Is that just my setup or reproducable on other machines as well ?

I saw that too, but thought it must have been my fault.

> The above file looks pretty innocent to me:
>
> #! -*- coding: koi8-r -*-
> assert u"<russian for python>".encode("utf-8") == '\xd0\x9f\xd0\xb8\xd1\x82\xd0\xbe\xd0\xbd'
> assert u"\<russian p>".encode("utf-8") == '\\\xd0\x9f'

It might well be the only file that actually uses the pep263 stuff to
affect the interpretation of a unicode string.  That would seem to be
the place to start looking -- though it imports & compiles file when
run as part of the test suite...

Hmm...

>>> exec open("../Lib/test/test_pep263.py").read()

sigh, that was one easy guess.

Cheers,
M.

--
  Every now and then, Google doesn't throw up what I need so I start
  checking Altavista, Yahoo, etc.  In almost every single case, I am