[Python-Dev] Adding decimal (aka FixedPoint) numbers to Python

Steve Holden sholden@holdenweb.com
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 15:12:24 -0500

[Micheal McLay]
> > sf/653938I is a patch to integrate the fixedpoint module, that was
> > created by Tim Peters, into Python as a first class object. That is,
> > the patch adds this new number type so that it has direct syntax
> > support like float, int, long, str., etc. within the interpreter.

[Guido]

> (a) I don't want any (more) change to the syntax for Python 2.3.
>
> (b) Like the sets module, proposals for new datatypes should first be
>     prototyped as standard library modules before being promoted to
>     built-in status (with their own literals).

Speaking of which, if sets *were* to become built-ins, would the notation

    { member1, member2, member3, ... }

fly as a constructor literal? I don't know enough ab out the parser's
operations to determine how easy disambiguation from a dictionary
constructor might be, but it's certainly a desirably parallel notation with
mathematical sets.

all-a-long-way-from-2.3-ly y'rs  - steve
Bring your musical instrument to PyCon!    http://www.python.org/pycon/