[Python-Dev] Re: Jython bugs or features?

Samuele Pedroni pedronis@bluewin.ch
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 18:01:32 +0100

Dinu Gherman <gherman@europemail.com> wrote in message
gherman-035CF3.16342425022002@news.t-online.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get a little more familiar with Jython, but after having
> just installed the 2.1 final release on OS X I find the following
> rather surprising differences between Jython and CPython (2.1 and 2.2
> respectively, but that doesn't matter here):
>
>   1. cStringIO.StringIO.reset() is missing in Jython
>   2. list() doesn't perform as expected in Jython

[namely it does not do a copy :( ]

> Are these bugs and if so: how many people are actually using Jython,
> then, especially as books start to come out for it from O'Reilly and
> New Riders...?

Yes they are bugs. Please report them.
Since 2.1 release (two month ago) there have been approximately  10000
download.

How are such bugs possible?

1. the typical idiom for list(l) is l[:] (mildly irrelevant I know)
2. if you check the test suite for CPython 2.1 and Jython there is no test
for list(l) behavior
3. the new reset method is also not tested by the test suite and is not
reported in the NEWS file

(These are the result of some grepping, maybe I'm wrong but given the bugs
probably
I'm right).

We try to follow the big picture and the PEPs and check the NEWS file but
for the rest the test suites
are our best hope vs. delusional friend.
If a feature is old, under-used, or through usage the bug does not show
through, and un-tested things become tricky.

It is open source: Jython is as conforming as its community and CPython
community ACTIVELY want it to be.

regards, Samuele Pedroni.