[Python-Dev] Re: Patch level versions and new features (Was: Some dull gc stats)

Gordon McMillan gmcm@hypernet.com
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 13:20:02 -0400

On 8 Jul 2002 at 19:03, Martin v. Loewis wrote:

> "Gordon McMillan" <gmcm@hypernet.com> writes:
>
> > > Of couse, taking the _xmlplus hack out of PyXML
> > > will cause backwards compatibility problems
> > > (regardless what the alternative hook is).
> >
> > How? As long as "import xml" gets them _xmlplus, I
> > can't see how it would break anything.
>
> Of course, once the hack that is taken out of PyXML,
> there won't be any _xmlplus anymore.
>
> I was thinking about applications that package
> Python applications, like freeze or Installer.
> People might have taken into account that they have
> to look inside _xmlplus as well. If the hack
> changes, they have to take into account that they
> need to look somewhere else, instead.

py2exe doesn't do _xmlplus (unless that's changed
recently) - Thomas has people overlay xml with
_xmlplus.

Installer does do it, but it's a horrid hack (one bad
hack deserves another) and I'd be delighted to
remove it.

-- Gordon
http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/