[Python-Dev] Dodgy code in distutils/sysconfig.py

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 07:55:03 -0400

Jack Jansen writes:
 > This won't work for one of the standard use cases: having multiple
 > "build" subdirectories of the source directory (where you build for
 > different platforms or some such).

Actually, it does support this case; Modules/Setup is relative to the
interpreter, and will have been created on Unix.

 > And as to a general solution to the problem: how about parsing the
 > Makefile that sits beside the interpreter? In all use cases (I think
 > also in your example of build directories very far away over the hills)
 > the Makefile will sit in the same directory as the interpreter. And the
 > Makefile will have the srcdir variable that points to the source
 > directory. And we have a makefile parser in distutils.

Does this work on Windows?  Parsing the Makefile isn't a problem, but
I don't think there is one in the MSVC build.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation