[Python-Dev] New Subscriber Introduction

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 13:00:10 -0400

> Ah, OK.  Well, that is handy, but since this is meant to be a
> drop-in replacement for strptime, I don't think it is warranted
> here.  Perhaps something like that could be put into Python when
> Guido starts putting in new fxns for the forthcoming new datetime
> type?

No, parsing dates is specifically not part of the datetime proposal.
The examples shown of mxDateTime.Parser behavior here reinforce my
desire to stay out of the time parsing business. :-)

> And I do agree that strptime is not need most of the time.  But it is
> there so might as well fix that non-portable wart.

Exactly.

Brett: I'm reviewing your SF patch 474274, but I'm finding problems.
I've added a comment to the SF page.