[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] python/dist/src/Objects dictobject.c,2.127,2.128 floatobject.c,2.113,2.114 intobject.c,2.84,2.85 listobject.c,2.120,2.121 longobject.c,1.119,1.120 rangeobject.c,2.42,2.43 stringobject.c,2.169,2.170 tupleobject.c,2.69,2.70 typeobject.c,2.160,2.161 unicodeobject.c,2.155,2.156 xxobject.c,2.20,2.21

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 21:13:37 +0200

Jeremy Hylton wrote:

>   MAL> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>   >>> I suggest that we keep Jeremy's checkins in 2.3.  Hopefully
>   >>> during the alpha or beta release cycle we will find out if there
>   >>> *really* are still platforms with broken compilers.  At worst,
>   >>> it will show up after 2.3 final is released, and then we can fix
>   >>> it in 2.3.1.  You won't have to target mx for 2.3 for another 18
>   >>> months (assuming the PBF ever releases Python-in-a-Tie).
>   >>
>   >>
>   >> It's easy enough for me to add the #defines to the support header
>   >> file if you take it out of the distribution, so it wouldn't hurt.
>
>   MAL> Just an addition: please leave the configure test in the
>   MAL> distribution. While I could implement that using distutils as
>   MAL> well, I would rather benefit from relying on config.h doing the
>   MAL> right thing in case there are some newly broken compilers out
>   MAL> there, e.g. the xlC one on AIX seems to be a very picky one...
>
> I don't understand what your goal is.  Why do you want the configure
> test if your header file has a bunch of platform-specific ifdefs?  If
> these platforms actually had a problem, the configure test would have
> caught it and you wouldn't need the ifdefs.  The only way the ifdefs
> would have an effect is if the configure test did not detect a
> problem; but if the configure test didn't detect a problem, then you
> don't need the ifdefs.

Correct, but I don't want to add more cruft to the file:

The configure script tests whether static forwards work
or not. If you'd rip out the test as well, then I'd have
to add those platforms which still have problems manually.

The problem is: I don't know which platforms these are
(because configure found these itself).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH