[Python-Dev] Review of build system patch requested

Mark Hammond mhammond@skippinet.com.au
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 09:03:38 +1000

> > * Makefile.pre.in has been changed to pass "-DPy_BUILD_CORE" to
> the compiler
> > when building Python itself and any builtin modules.  This flag is
> > not passed to extension modules.
>
> My only concern would be that tools which parse the Makefile (I
> believe distutils does this?) should not accidentally pick up the
> "-DPy_BUILD_CORE" flag.
>
> Apart from that I trust your judgement and Neal's test drive.

Thanks Guido.  I mailed the distutils sig, and Andrew Kuchling replied that
my change should be safe.

Now I need some help checking this baby in!  My change touches
Makefile.pre.in and configure.in, and require that both "autoheader" and
"autoconf" be run to correctly regenerate output files.

How should I do this checkin?  Is it necessary for me to perform any
additional steps, or is there some magic that allows me to simply check
these 2 files in and have everything else work?

Thanks,

Mark.