[Python-Dev] Do we still need Lib/test/data?

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 18:10:59 -0400

I'm about to check in some changes to the email package, which will
include a re-organization of its test suite.  Part of this will be so
that I can add some huge torture tests to the standalone mimelib
project without committing megs of email samples to the Python
project.  It will also makes it easier for me to create the mimelib
distro because I'll then be able to put the setup.py file in the email
directory instead of having to maintain a fake hierarchy elsewhere
just to make distutils happy.

Specifically, I'm going to move the bulk of Lib/test_email.py and
Lib/test_email_codes.py to Lib/email/test and make email.test a
full-fledged subpackage of the email package.

I'm also going to move the Lib/test/data directory to Lib/email/test.
I'll do this by creating a new directory and cvs adding a copy of the
files to the new location (the cvs revision history isn't important
enough to preserve).

I believe this should be entirely transparent to most of you.  My
question is whether I should cvsrm the files that are currently in
Lib/test/data or not?  On the one hand, I don't want to maintain
duplicates, but OTOH, I'm not sure if any other code or tests depends
on those files (I did some attempts at grepping for this and didn't
/see/ anything but I'm trying to be conservative).

Needless to say I won't be actually removing the Lib/test/data
directory, but a "cvs up -P" would hide it from you.

Any opinions?
-Barry