[Python-Dev] PEP 295 - Interpretation of multiline string constants

Stepan Koltsov yozh@mx1.ru
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 21:06:40 +0400

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 12:41:02PM -0400, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > I wrote a PEP, its number is 295, it is in attachment.
> > It should be posted somewhere to be discussed so it is here.
> > Please, look at it and say what you think.
>
> This is an incompatible change. Your PEP does not address
> how to deal with this at all. I will be forced to reject it unless
> you come up with a transition strategy (in fact, I don't even want
> to consider your proposal unless you deal with this).

For most strings this change will not change program result (for
example number of spaces doesn't matter in SQL queries). For others
I suggested (in section 'Alternatives') flags 'i' and 'o' for string
constants.

--
mailto: Stepan Koltsov <yozh@mx1.ru>