[Python-Dev] Re: Where to put wrap_text()?

François Pinard pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
02 Jun 2002 12:35:42 -0400

[Guido van Rossum]

> > > Do you have a reference for this algorithm apart from GNU fmt's
> > > source code?

> Can we focus on getting the module/package structure and a basic
> algorithm first?  It's fine to design the structure for easy
> extensibility with other algorithms, but implementing Knuth's
> algorithm seems hopelessly out of scope.

There is no emergency for Knuth's algorithm of, course.  However, if I
mentioned it, this was as an invitation for the package to be designed with
an opened mind about extensibility.  And it usually helps opening the mind,
pondering various avenues.

What should we read in your "hopelessly out of scope" comment, above?
Do you mean you would object beforehand that Python offers it?