[Python-Dev] Re: Where to put wrap_text()?

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 04 Jun 2002 14:55:11 -0400

> Excellent if it could be done exactly this way.  However, things are
> not always that simple.  If a newline is inserted at some point for
> wrapping purposes, it is desirable and usual to remove what was
> whitespace around that point, so we do not have unwelcome spaces at
> start of the beginning line, or spurious trailing whitespace at end
> of the previous line.  If the wrapping device otherwise replaces
> sequences of many spaces by one, it should be careful at replacing
> many space by two, in context of full stops.

Emacs does it this way because you reformat the same paragraph over
and over.  The downside is that sometimes a line is shorter than it
could be because it would end in a period.  For what we're doing here
(producing tidy output) I prefer not to do the Emacs fiddling.