[Python-Dev] d.get_key(key) -> key?

Daniel 'eikeon' Krech eikeon@eikeon.com
05 Jun 2002 20:02:34 -0400

> The functionality you propose seems to esoteric to add.

Fair enough. That fact that it is a bit esoteric is the reason why I
raised it... to me it seems like a nice boundary case to support, but
an unlikely one unless someone raised it.

> It's probably simpler to make sure you call intern() before storing
> the key in the dict anyway.

It is my understanding that calling intern creates a string that is
forever immortal? [Perhaps this is a question for python-list though?]
For our application, we can not afford to "leak" the memory we would
lose to the immortal strings.

[I will likely proceed by storing the key as part of the value as
Barry suggested.]

Thank you for your time to hear me out. Sorry it was too
esoteric... felt it at least desirved raising... now it is time to
forget that I did :)

Thank you all for your time,
--eikeon