[Python-Dev] textwrap.py

Just van Rossum just@letterror.com
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 10:05:23 +0200

Tim Peters wrote:

> It wouldn't if you viewed it in Courier; for fixed-width fonts it very
> arguably helps people parse.  The two-space gimmick is out of favor for
> published works because proportional fonts and kerning are adequate to
> distinguish sentences.  It still Rulz the DOS box, though <wink>.

Huh? In fixed-width fonts the period is a small dot on a huge area of white
space. It contains much more white than it would in a proportional font and/or
the dot is much bigger to compenstate for that. Either way, in most fixed-width
fonts the period sticks out pretty well. I don't see how that can be harder to
parse than when set in a proportional font, let alone why an extra space would
help.

can't-afford-to-stay-out-of-a-typographical-flame-fest-on-python-dev-ly y'rs  -
Just