[Python-Dev] textwrap.py

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 17:33:29 -0400

On 07 June 2002, Guido van Rossum said:
> True, but then there needs to be a way to enable/disable it, since
> even if you never use two spaces after a period, the rule can still
> generate them for you in the output: when an input sentence ends at
> the end of a line but the output sentence doesn't, the rule will
> translate the newline into two spaces instead of one.
>
> I vote to have it off by default.

Sounds about right to me.  Reading this thread has revealed that 1) I
was correct to add sentence-ending-detection code, 2) I missed a few
subtle details (eg. my code will change "Dr. Frankenstein" to
"Dr.  Frankenstein" -- d'ohh!), and 3) the programmer must be
able to select whether she wants to use it.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - Unix bigot                                  gward@python.net
http://starship.python.net/~gward/