[Python-Dev] addressing distutils inability to track file dependencies

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 13:46:58 +1200 (NZST)

> The question is whether we want distutils to be a development
> tool as well

I'd say yes, we do -- otherwise we have to maintain two
parallel systems for building stuff, which sucks for
what should be obvious reasons.

What's more -- on Windows, distutils is the only
way I know *how* to build extension modules! I once
tried doing it on my own and gave up in disgust.