[Python-Dev] 'new' and 'types'

Oren Tirosh oren-py-d@hishome.net
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 10:53:13 -0400

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 09:49:05AM -0400, Greg Ward wrote:
> On 14 June 2002, Oren Tirosh said:
> > Patch 568629 removes the built-in module new (with sincere apologies to
> > Tommy Burnette ;-) and replaces it with a tiny Python module consisting of a
> > single import statement:
> [...]
> > Now, what about the types module?  It has been suggested that this module
> > should be deprecated.  I think it still has some use: we need a place to put
> > all the types that are not used often enough to be added to the builtins.
> > I suggest that they be placed in the module 'types' with names matching their
> > __name__ attribute.  The types module will still have the long MixedCaseType
> > names for backward compatibility.  The use of the long names should be
> > deprecated, not the types module itself.
>
> Two great ideas.  I think you should write up a *short* PEP to keep them
> alive -- this feels like one of those small, not-too-controversial
> changes that will slip between the cracks unless/until someone with
> checkin privs takes up the cause.  Don't let that discourage you!

The first is very much alive - my patch for the new module has already been
checked in by Guido.  No need for a PEP there because it's a transparent
change.

For the types module I have a pending patch but I guess it won't sneak into
the CVS without a PEP. It requires general agreement that it's a bad thing
for types to have two names, that the long names should be deprecated and
that the right place for short names that are not builtins is in the types
module.

It's PEP time...

	Oren