[Python-Dev] PEP 292, Simpler String Substitutions

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 18:58:26 -0700

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Though I doubt that string % is taught in hour two -- you cna do
> everything you want with str() and string concatenation, both of which
> *are* taught in hour two.

If there were an easy way to do interpolation I might well want to teach
it before any of str() or string concatenation. And I would probably
treat it in preference to the magic and special "," operator of the
print statement. I prefer to teach something that is generally useful
like $ rather than something which they may have to unlearn like "," --
unlearn to the extent that they will naturally expect that commas in
other contexts will do whitespace-generating concatenation and they
hardly ever will.

 Paul Prescod