[Python-Dev] Re: replacing bsddb with pybsddb's bsddb3 module

Gregory P. Smith greg@electricrain.com
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 14:54:44 -0700

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 09:26:35AM -0500, Skip Montanaro wrote:

>     Greg> should we keep the existing bsddb around as oldbsddb for users in
>     Greg> that situation?
>
>     Martin> I don't think so; users could always extract the module from
>     Martin> older distributions if they want to.
>
> I would prefer the old version be moved to lib-old (or Modules-old?).  For
> people still running DB 2.x it shouldn't be a major headache to retrieve.

This sounds good.  Here's what i see on the plate to be done so far:

1) move the existing Modules/bsddbmodule.c to a new Modules-old or
   directory.
2) create a new Lib/bsddb directory containing bsddb3/bsddb3/*.py from
   the pybsddb project.
3) create a new Modules/bsddb directory containing bsddb3/src/* from
   the pybsddb project (the files should probably be renamed to
   _bsddbmodule.c and bsddbmoduleversion.h for consistent naming)
4) place the pybsddb setup.py in the Modules/bsddb directory,
   modifying it as needed.  OR  modify the top level setup.py to
   understand how to build the pybsddb module.  (there is code in
   pybsddb's setup.py to locate the berkeleydb install and determine
   appropriate flags that should be cleaned up and carried on)
5) modify the top level python setup.py to build the bsddb module
   as appropriate.
6) "everything else" including integrating documentation and
   pybsddb's large test suite.

Sound correct?

How do we want future bsddb module development to proceed?  I envision
it either taking place 100% under the python project, or taking place
as it is now in the pybsddb project with patches being fed to the python
project as desired?  Any preferences?  [i prefer to not maintain the
code in two places myself (ie: do it all under the python project)]

Greg