[Python-Dev] New Subscriber Introduction

Brett Cannon bac@OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 14:17:08 -0700 (PDT)

Uh, I realize this is a little late, but I didn't thoroughly read the
intro email for the list and so I didn't realize this was requested into
lalo sent his email.  Anyway, better late then never.

So my name is Brett Cannon.  I am a recent graduate of the philosophy
program here at UC Berkeley.  I am taking a year off from school (and
apparently employment =P) while I apply to grad school in hopes of
persuing as masters or doctorate in CS.  I also hope to discover an area
of CS that I love above all else during this year so that I can stop
jumping between different areas of programming (I have the slight issue of
wnating to be the best that I can be at everything and this jumping around
is not helping with that =).

I discovered Python in Fall 2000.  Was trying to choose a language to use
to teach myself OOP before I took my first CS course here at Cal.  Have
been using Python pretty exclusively since except for CS coursework;
Python spoiled me and didn't help when I had to use Scheme, Lisp, or Java
in my classes.

The only grumblings anyone has heard out of me as yet on this list is over
my Python implementation of strptime.  I do plan to stay on this list,
though, even after this is resolved and be as involved as I can on the
list (which is going to be limited until I get off my rear and really dive
into the C source).

-Brett C.